Skip to content

RESP Basics

How to Get a Social Insurance Number (SIN)


Don’t miss out on the benefits your Social Insurance Number can bring. Your SIN is your key to accessing essential services and opportunities. To register for an RESP, and benefit from government grants like the Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG) or the Canada Learning Bond (CLB), a SIN is required for both you and your child. If your child doesn’t yet have one, it’s best to apply before you open your RESP.

Here’s what you need to know about SINs and how to get one.

Why is a SIN important?

Essential Services: Your SIN is vital for accessing healthcare, social assistance, and filing taxes. It’s your gateway to vital government programs and benefits, like an RESP and the grant funding that you can receive through opening one.

Education Savings: If you’re planning to invest in your child’s education, you can’t begin doing so without a SIN.

How to get your SIN

Wondering how to get a SIN? We’ve got the first step covered. Head over to the official government website and follow the application steps.

Already have a SIN for your kid(s)?

Awesome! If you’ve already secured a SIN for your little ones, take the next step. Sign up for the Embark Student Plan and unlock personalized savings guidance, integrated digital tools, and investment management that grows as your child does. Sign Up Now!

Get started today and open the doors to a brighter future!

Written by Embark

Embark is Canada’s education savings and planning company. The organization aims to help families and students along their post-secondary journeys, giving them innovative tools and advice to take hold of their bright futures and succeed.